Mark Twain Project Online
Explanatory Notes        Apparatus Notes ()

Source: Mark Twain House and Museum, Hartford, Conn ([CtHMTH])

Cue: "To Mr. Bartlett, who has robbed"

Source format: "MS, inscription"

Letter type: "inscription"

Notes:

Last modified:

Revision History: Paradise, Kate

Published on MTPO: 2022

Print Publication:

This edited text supersedes the previously published text
MTPDocEd
To Matthew H. Bartlett
October 1877 • 1st of 3 • Hartford, Conn. (MS, inscription in The Innocents Abroad: CtHMTH, UCCL 09280)

To Mr. Bartlett, who has robbed the historical
   command “Away with him to the
   Tower!” of all its terrors—this,

With the grateful acknowledgments of
Mark Twain1explanatory note
Textual Commentary
Source text(s):

MS, inscription in an 1876 imprint of SLC 1869, CtHMTH.

Previous Publication:

MicroPUL, reel 1.

Explanatory Notes
1 In 1867 Matthew Henry Bartlett (1833–1914) and his nephew, Charles A. Kellogg, built Bartlett tower on Talcott Mountain, which became a favorite destination for Clemens and Twichell on their walks. Bartlett was a former owner and publisher of the Hartford Republican, a weekly newspaper, later remembered by the Courant as “the only free soil paper in this vicinity” (“Bartlett Tower Builder Is Dead,” Hartford Courant, 15 Dec 1914, 4).
Top